If you are a fan of “This Is Us”, the television phenomenon, you may have seen the episode leading up to this week’s Finale after the Super Bowl. Last week, Jack and Rebecca were all prepared for Super Bowl Sunday. I don’t know how emotionally prepared this particular far is for this Sunday’s angst-awaited edition. (I took an online test that confirmed I am not at all ready…you can take it here to see if you are…https://www.buzzfeed.com/whitneyjefferson/this-is-us-jacks-death-episode-help?utm_term=.eyx3R0W36&quiz_result=120404407_357414158#.ysgG9w3Gq)
Monte's Bourbon Chili
A rich, smoky chili with chunks of tomatoes, onions, peppers and absolutely no beans.
- 1 lbs. ground beef (80 /20 lean to fat)
- 1 cup of bourbon
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried sage
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 4 bell peppers – 1 each Red, Green, Yellow and Orange, seeded and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped fine
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp. Chili powder
- 2 tbsp. chipotle chili powder
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 -28 ounce can of whole peeled tomatoes and their juice, the tomatoes cut in half.
- ¼ cup of sour cream
- 4 ounces of Cheddar, shredded
- Warmed Fritos for serving.(Optional)
- Step 1 In a large pot over medium heat, add beef, ¼ cup of bourbon, half the garlic, the oregano and the sage. Cook, breaking up the beef with a wooden spoon until the meat is well browned, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Step 2 Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beef mixture to a plate and set aside.
- Step 3 In the same pot over high heat, heat the olive oil. Add the onions, bell peppers, jalapeno pepper, orange juice, butter and remaining garlic and cook until the vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes. Add chili powder, chipotle pepper powder, cayenne and salt and cook, stirring the whole time for 1 minute. Add the remaining ¾ cup of bourbon, reduce the heat to medium and cook until the liquid is reduced by half in about 8 minutes.
- Step 4 Add tomatoes and the beef mixture and bring the mixture to a boil over medium high heat. If it looks like the mixture is too dry, add up to 1 cup of water.
- Step 5 Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered for 1 hour.
- Step 6 Divide the chili among bowls and garnish each helping with about 1 tablespoon of cheddar and a dollop of sour cream. Serve with the warmed corn chips.